The reclusive Nathaniel Booth, fourth son of
William Booth of the Dunham Massey estate, bought the Mottram
estate (est. 1310 by Adam de Mottram) in 1650.
He lived in the timber framed Old Hall,
which is now a private house and stands back from the drive about
Not wanting to be outdone by his wealthy Uncle Sir
George Booth, the 2nd Baron of
the Delamere Estate including Dunham Massey, Nathaniel's
3rd son (also named Nathaniel)
chose to build himself and his wife Jane a manor house on his 150
acres of land and Mottram Hall was built and completed in
The fine red brick mansion with stone facings was built strictly
to Nathaniel's instruction. The Latin at the front of the Main
Hall translates to 'Unless the Lord built the House, it is laboured
The Hall was soon bought in
1738 by William Wright who was a wealthy landowner from Offerton
-Stockportand the Hall remained in the Wright Family to 1914.
Mottram Hall was then bought and converted into a Hotel in 1940.
Following considerable additions the site now incorporates
120 bedrooms with Spa facilities and a Championship 18-hole golf
course. The tree fringed lake, lawns and rose gardens at the
rear of the Hall provide the perfect setting for wedding and
outdoor functions. The formal gardens are surrounded by two
hundred and seventy acres of parkland and create a restful
atmosphere for conferences and leisure guests.
The Hall is a fine example of architecture of the period and
fine ceilings in the main hall and the other public rooms are
classed as works of national importance. These ceilings are
now protected as the Hall is a listed building. The
conversion to a hotel necessitated many repairs, renovations and
restorations, and a great deal of care was taken to preserve the
Adam ceilings and the 12th Century wood panelling, taken
from the Old Hall.
Mottram Hall has been owned since the mid 1970's to 2014 by the
De Vere group and underwent a £6million refurbishment during
2012/2013. In November 2014 QHotels secured ownership of Mottram